Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Spudtember...Day 20


How'd I do this week?  Great...until Sunday.  Jackie was lamenting the lack of regular meals, so I decided to cook a big Sunday roast, figuring I'd just eat the potatoes and gravy portion of it. This plan worked well until I was carving said roast. One nibble led to another and before you know, I had eaten several off-plan food items.

I nervously checked every few minutes, but the potato-police never showed up to take me away.


Official weight lost after 20 days on a potato diet is 10 pounds. My potato intake has increased significantly from the first week, I'm now eating about 4-5 pounds of potatoes per day (1388-1700 kcal). This increase has allowed me to feel energized, exercise, and still lose some weight. My goal is to lose 5 more pounds over the next 10 days, but I'm not worried about it.

I'm still quite amazed every day at my lack of hunger, and my non-aversion to potatoes. Over the weekend, I cut and pre-cooked 15 pounds of French fries with my handy-dandy French fry cutter. Then I froze them in a single layer and separated into one-pound ziplocks for freezer storage.

My routine has been to skip breakfast and eat about 2 pounds of mashed potatoes and/or plain boiled potatoes for lunch. I take my potatoes to work with me and heat them in the microwave. Sometimes I will dip the whole potatoes in ketchup and sprinkle with salt.  I found that it helps to make the mashed potatoes a bit more watery so that they do not dry up when cooled and reheated.

Dinner is generally 2 pounds of French fries fixed in an air-fryer (here's one that does not contain Teflon!), then whatever else I like...I still have some potato flatbread and there is always cooked potatoes in the fridge.

My garden is completely gone now, thanks to several weeks of hard frosts, so the tomatoes and strawberries no longer beckon. I'll try to finish the month as purist as possible.

Later!
Tim

13 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmm....... A vegan, high starch diet (except for Sunday). Maybe Dr McDougall was (is) right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDougall's plan is pretty solid, but some meat and eggs would make it more human-friendly. However, as a Vegan diet, it's certainly the best one out there.

      Delete
  2. I favor something I call Professional Potato. Monday through Friday I am a potato man, but on the weekend I allow myself to eat......uh......normally? Poorly?
    It more easily allows me to meet social obligations without any awkward conversations and frankly make them more enjoyable.
    Some things in life are better with a platter of wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you think... That sounds doable!

      Delete
    2. I'm a big believer that too rigid of dieting becomes detrimental. Frequent "cheat-meals" as well as periodic fasting seem to help keep the metabolism flexible.

      Delete
  3. BIG BOSS 1300-Watt Oil-Less Fryer, 16-Quart has a very interesting EU prize at EUR 379.59. Even with EU import taxes and customs, I can get it at 150$ from USA. It must be the preventive methods of free health care system (sarcasm).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some interesting studies here for anyone interested:
    https://www.gutbliss.com/gutbliss-weekly-review-september-19-2016/

    gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice review of recent articles. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Question: Can the stand alone potato starch (as in Bob's Red Mills Potato Starch) lose it's potency (RS value) if used in a recipe that means it will get baked in the oven or in a skillet or in a sauce pan - basically come into some serious heat for any length of time? (P.S. Amazon sent me an email letting me know I might be interested in The Potato Hack book - I looked at it - read the reviews and the reviews were what made me buy the Kindle version - I didn't finish the book until last night in the wee hours - that said - I wasn't sure I saw anything about heating potato starch - so this morning after a 3 day hack where I lost 4.2 pounds I had a smoothie with 1/4 cup of potato starch - with mango, banana, yogurt and some orange juice - delightful! - Too - although the reviews were what sold me and I thought they were astounding - reading the book was beyond what anyone conveyed in the reviews - which might be a first for me - so - thank you so very much for the book. There might be a need for further proof reading - but the gist is 100% there and appreciated!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind remarks. I'm glad you enjoyed the book, yes, a 2nd Edition will be professionally edited, but you should have seen the rough draft before several people jumped to my rescue!

      Regarding potato starch, yes, heating destroys the beneficial RS. Anything above 150 deg F causes the starch to gelatinize and become easily digested.

      Thanks again!
      Tim

      Delete
    2. A 2nd Edition! Yay! I was just about to order a physical book - I think I should wait for the 2nd Edition! Just in case you add anything new to what is already a great piece of work. Is there an estimated time period for this?

      Also - I know I am late to this party - but either yourself or someone close to you has had to mention the 'mana' mentioned in the Bible. A mono food that spanned 40 years - and by what little is mentioned specifically about it - it would seem to be a starch related food. Just an interesting thought.

      And I apologize if I made you repeat the info about heat and potato starch - meaning - it was probably in your book - because as I read your reply here - it just seemed familiar - lol - but thank you for repeating yourself on my behalf.

      One last thing - I am so enjoying and very grateful for the constant sense of 'fullness'. Seems I've been overly hungry since being a kid - and I mean a very young one - currently in my 50's - so - thank you for such a wonderful gift!

      Leslie

      Delete
    3. 2nd Edition is a couple years off, lol. If I was to add anything, though, it would be a couple of more aggressive diets, 2-4 weeks in length, for weight loss. But, really, back-to-back 5 day hacks, with a couple days normal eating in between, is probably the best thing going.

      I believe we've discussed manna a couple times around here, lol.

      Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress, feel free to ask any questions you might have.
      Tim

      Delete